Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is aimed at encouraging the parents to build a corpus fund for the future education and marriage expenses of their female child. In this post, we will see how to open Sukanya Samriddhi Account in HDFC Bank.
What is Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana?
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a deposit scheme exclusively for a girl child under the Beti Bachao Campaign.
The Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana matures only in 21 years or till the marriage of the girl after she turns 18, but partial withdrawal of 50 per cent is allowed after she turns 18 for higher education expenses.
It is currently (FY 2018-19) fetching an interest rate of 8.5 per cent, which is best interest rate among other savings schemes including the PPF account and also it provides income-tax benefit under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Sukanya Samriddhi Account can be opened in any authorized post office branch or authorized commercial bank in India
Eligibility for opening Sukanya Samriddhi Jojana (SSY) in HDFC bank
- The Sukanya Samriddhi Jojana can be opened by the natural or legal guardian for a girl child of age below 10 years.
- Only one account can be opened and operate in the name of a girl child, one can’t open more than one account for one girl child.
- The Sukanya Samriddhi Jojana can be opened with a minimum deposit of Rs.1,000 and a maximum of Rs.1.5 lakhs can be deposited per account every year.
- This account will remain operative for 21 years from the date of its opening or till the marriage of the girl after she turns 18.
- The Sukanya Samriddhi account can be transferred to any of the bank branches across India that accept Sukanya Samriddhi Account openings.
Documents Required in HDFC to Open Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY)
- Sukanya Samriddhi Jojana Account Opening Form (One can get this application for the HDFC branch)
- Birth certificate of the beneficiary girl child.
- Address proof of the depositor like Aadhaar, passport, ration card, electricity bill, telephone bill, driving license.
- Identity proof of the depositor like Aadhaar, PAN card, ration card, driving license, passport.
How to open a Sukanya Samriddhi Account online in HDFC?
Presently, we can’t open an SSY account online in HDFC. But once the SSY account is opened, you have the option to set the standing instructions online.
How to open a Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana account in HDFC branch?
You need to visit the branch directly and submit the filled SSY account opening form with proofs and photographs as mentioned above. While opening the account, you need to pay the deposit amount, which can be between 250 to 1.5 lakh.
Once the account is opened, the depositor is given a passbook from the HDFC bank branch. You can also give standing instructions for automatic credit to Sukanya Samriddhi Account from your saving account online.