Wrongly filled ITR? How to rectify your income tax return online
In case if you have furnished wrong information like missed a deduction in your income tax return, no need to worry. You can revise the return within 1 year from the end of the assessment year and submit again. So, for example – if you have already filed your return for financial year 2015-16 (FY16) before the due date, 31 July 2016, but want to make modifications, you can file a revised return till 31 March 2018.
5 simple steps to file Rectification:
Step 1: Visit Income tax e-filing website and LOGIN with your credentials. Then click –> My Account –> Rectification request.
Step 2: Select the Assessment Year for which Rectification is to be e-Filed.
Step 3: Enter Latest Communication Reference Number (For eg: If an order has been passed by CPC on 15 October 2015 and another order has been passed on 25th December 2015, the assessee can e-File ONLY using the latest i.e. 25th December, 2015 order.)
Step 3: Click ‘Validate’ and submit.
Step 4: Select the correct ‘Rectification Request type’ from the drop down menu
Taxpayer Correcting Data for Tax Credit mismatch only: Under this option, there are three check boxes will be displayed like TCS, TDS, IT. You need to select the check-box for which data needs to be corrected. No upload of an Income Tax Return is required.
Taxpayer is correcting the Data in Rectification: Under this option, select the correct reason for seeking rectification like Donation and Capital gain details (if applicable), upload XML and Digital Signature Certificate, if available and applicable. You can select a maximum of 4 reasons under this option
No further Data Correction required. Reprocess the case: Under this option, three check-boxes will be displayed like Tax Credit mismatch, Gender mismatch, Tax/ Interest mismatch are displayed. You need to select the appropriate check-box for which re-processing is required. No upload of an Income Tax Return is required.
Step 5 – Finally click the ‘Submit’ button.
Important points to remember
- On successful submission, an Acknowledgment number will be generated and sent for processing to CPC, Bangalore.
- CPC will either accept or reject your rectification request.
- The rectification request can be withdrawn within 1 week time if submitted by mistake or the request needs to be amended. Visit Income tax e-filing website and LOGIN. Then click –> My Account –> ‘Rectification status’ to withdraw the Rectification.
- The Bank Account details mentioned in the original Income Tax Return (processed) will be considered for any refund and not the bank account mentioned in the Rectified Income Tax Return.
- A rectification should not be filed for any change in your income. Instead, a revised return should be filed for this.
Do you still have any query in rectification. Feel free to use the comments section.